A Case Against Grad School

2



Recently This Unemployed Life featured an LA Times article and discussion on the bleak prospects for those with a PhD, particularly in the humanities. This post will be another uplifting look at the same concerns.

Okla Elliot, a Ph.D candidate, colleague of mine at As It Ought To Be, and the same person who helped me make the decision to go to graduate school for my MFA in creative writing, recently linked to an article published by The Chronicle of Higher Education.

This article paints a pretty dismal picture of pursuing higher education in the humanities. In fact, the main message of the article is "just don't go."

*sigh*

The author of the article suggests a person only pursue higher education in the humanities under the following circumstances:

"* You are independently wealthy, and you have no need to earn a living for
yourself or provide for anyone else.
* You come from that small class of well-connected people in academe who will
be able to find a place for you somewhere.
* You can rely on a partner to provide all of the income and benefits needed by
your household.
* You are earning a credential for a position that you already hold — such as a
high-school teacher — and your employer is paying for it."

Hmmm... Well, I am not independently wealthy. I think that's pretty apparent. I don't have a partner who can support me, nor do I want to rely on someone else if I can help it. And I'm not earning a credential I already hold. I do happen to have a very close friend in academe who may one day be able to help me get a position. But who knows. I certainly can't put all my eggs in that basket.

So I am back to the same square one I've always been on. I have to embrace the underlying truth that I am going back to graduate school first and foremost for the joy of the experience. I am going back for the opportunity to spend two-to-three years writing and reading and living poetry. I am going back to write a book that hopefully will get published and help put me on the map at the end of all of this. It would be great if this degree got me a job as a tenure-track literature professor, but that cannot be the be-all-end-all goal of the process.

I am blessed that, thanks to Okla Elliot, I am aware that there are graduate school programs that fund. I am blessed that I will not have to incur student loan debt to participate in this experience. And I am blessed to spend a few years doing what I love. Beyond that, it is in fate's hands. Like everything else.

Comments (2)

It's one thing to spend a few years of your life doing something you love (or hate!) and owe $100K+ for it. It's another to do it if it doesn't cost you anything. I get a giant F for not reading the linked article, but someone is always going to say that anything is a dumb idea. You know what you want to do, listen to yourself and trust yourself. I'm not a believer in fate and the universe (as you know) or other Grand Design Plans, but I do think that you just have to listen to yourself and take a chance. The biggest downside is you find out it's not what you want to do and you leave the program and you go back to student loan repayment -- that's no different from where you are now, no? If the program is funded, I'm not seeing the downside.

"Writing is like prostitution; First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Molière

I agree with Deborah! You aren't going to lose anything but time and since you will be spending that doing something you love then you are not really losing anything.

And don't give fate all the credit. You are the architect of your own destiny. Chance may offer the building blocks but it is your hands that choose and put them together. Be as proud as you are grateful.

Post a Comment