Eureka!

5

I spent four years in law school (two while working full time), a year studying for the bar, taking the bar, waiting for bar results, and finding out I passed the bar, four-and-a-half horrible months of a near-hopeless job search, and nearly three years practicing law.

There was not a moment during the eight years that I gave to the law when I thought, "Yes, THIS is what I am supposed to do. I love this." No. Instead, I thought law school was the hardest thing I'd ever done, until I took the bar, and then I thought THAT was the hardest thing I'd ever done. Practicing law was certainly better, but it was never my passion, and I always felt like I had sold out my dreams for security and financial well-being.

But why?

It's hard to remember the frame of mind I was in eight years ago when I decided to go to law school. But with some recent soul-searching and the help of a good book and a good therapist, the truth underlying my entire adult career life has become clear.

I gave WAY too much credence to the advice of other people. I listened when they worried I would never succeed as a writer. And I listened when they said, "Go to law school and the world will be your oyster."

Well guess what, the world IS my oyster, but not because I'm a lawyer. The world is my oyster because I finally woke up. Today I finally realize (albeit eight years later) that if I follow my passion, if I put my energy into the things I enjoy in life as opposed to the things that everyone else thinks are worthwhile, I will be far more successful than I ever was doing something I didn't enjoy.

I went to law school because I was afraid I would fail as a writer. I feared I would fail as a writer because everyone else feared I would.

Eureka, I finally get it! Those people who instilled fear in me, they were afraid. I am not afraid. I believe in my abilities, and I believe that if I put hard work into the things I am passionate about, I will absolutely succeed.

So I am done listening to the advice of others that comes from a place of fear and anxiety. I am about to embark on a journey that I should have embarked on eight years ago. I have been given a second chance, and this time, I'm listening to me.

Comments (5)

I've only know you as a writer, as a poet. You have an intrinsic, instinctual awareness of the aesthetic of language. Your poetry is complex and beautiful; always delectably engaging both the brain and the heart. I've never experienced you as anything less than passionate about poetry! Embark my dear, embark . . .

Yay! That kind of outlook on life and career is refreshing. I can't wait to see what happens for you.

If you became a lawyer without wanting to do it, imagine what you can do when you actually want to do it!

This comment has been removed by the author.

I saw a great quote today (albeit in the form of bumper-sticker philosophy, but never mind that): "Those who have given up on their dreams will discourage yours". If your passion is to be a writer, then I say go for it. I've never known you to quit, why start now?

Post a Comment