No Regrets

1

As I have told and re-told my story to friends and family in recent weeks, a theme has emerged. People have been telling me that I shouldn't regret my law career and accomplishments.

I want to make it very clear that I have no regrets. It is a huge accomplishment to graduate from law school. It is an even bigger accomplishment to pass the California bar exam on your first try. I am very proud to say that I had a successful law career for three years. During that career I chaired a trial. I helped numerous parents ensure the best interests of their children were met. I got a number of people divorced. I fought to get restraining orders for abused people and I helped a number of women break the cycle of violence and free themselves from emotionally, psychologically, and physically abusive relationships. I am exceptionally proud of my accomplishments. They are by no means a small feat.

If I had to start it all over again tomorrow, however, I would not.


Having been through what I have been through has taught me invaluable lessons. To be 29 years old and discover that money is not the driving force or end goal in my life, that security is never guaranteed, and that you have to follow your dreams and pursue your passions in life to find true success and happiness is the greatest gift my law career could have given me. I would not have made this discovery nor appreciated how sweet it is to live your dreams if I had not first taken the path I have taken.

Throughout my law career I have met a number of people and made numerous connections that have changed my life. I had inspirational professors in law school. I found myself at the lowest point in my life and I fought tooth and nail to build myself back up to the fabulous person that I am today. In my practice I was taken under the wing of a mentor who gave me a chance when no one else would and who taught me everything I needed to know to start practicing. I have made very dear friends who are now and forever a part of my life. I made friends with the webmaster of As It Ought To Be, and from that connection I now have the privilege of being the editor of the Saturday Poetry Series on that blog. I have begun to build connections with my As It Ought To Be co-editors. These co-editors have been extremely supportive of my career transition, and one of them recently gave me some invaluable information that will likely shape the path my new career will take.

None of these connections, none of these friendships, none of these life-changing experiences would have occurred had I not studied and practiced law.

I am proud to say that I am licensed to practice law in California. I am proud that I am a Doctor of Jurisprudence. I am thankful for all I've learned and for the relationships I've built and the life-changing experiences I've had as a result of my law career.

I wouldn't take back the life I have lived to date for a second. I just wouldn't make the same choices if I had it all to do over again tomorrow. I don't view that as regretting the experiences I've had. I view that as learning from the choices I've made. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I am learning I am succeeding.

Comment (1)

From reading this it seams like some of if not the greatest accomplishments, connections and experiences in your life were made possible directly because of your law career. If you never took that path none of those irreplaceable things would have been facilitated. So why would you not want to do it again?

Post a Comment